Saturday 2 February 2013

Clues!

There are times when something just doesn't seem right. These things play on your mind and in many cases they are the mother of invention or discovery.
I imagine that once upon a time Marie & Pierre Curie thought to themselves that there was a missing 'thing' and then after looking for a while radium appears, which just goes to show that if you look for something long enough you will find it eventually.

I have had such a thing playing on my mind for about 6 months. It hasn't led to a new element (yet) but it has at last come to a resolution that I am happy about.

In the picture to the left is the view from the road  we walk down with the dogs. The view is across the river to a gate.
If you enlarge it you can clearly see the gate, I have walked through it and onto the riverside bridleway many times over the last 6 months. To get to the gate you walk 200m further down said road, across a bridge, through another gate into a field and then through gate in above picture.
Every time I walk past and I see the gate in the picture there is a thing that niggles in the back of my mind. Then about a week ago I realised what it was that had been bothering me.

It's the river bank....do you see it....
Yes, it's man made, supported, not natural, so to me that meant that there used to be a bridge there, a bridge that led from the road across the river and through that gate. At last, all of those years watching Time Team were starting to pay off.

This morning after the dog walk I decided that if there had ever been a bridge that someone would have photographed it at some point and that if that were the case then it would be somewhere on the internet.

This led to a Google hunt that eventually led to a page on flickr that was full of pictures of old Garrigill ( www.flickr.com/photos/alstonmoor if you want to have a look) and then a further search (once we had a name) to find the image on a page where it wasn't copyrighted...oh thank you interweb...

So here it is, proof that my niggle in my head every time I walked past this gap was for real, a long lost picture of....wait for it....the original Tyne Bridge in Garrigill.

And how it looks today.



No comments:

Post a Comment