Sunday 11 August 2013

Somebody Loves You John Porter


Yesterday the three of us had a walk to Epiacum the ancient and as yet unexplored Roman fort that has been discovered just outside of Alston.

There are plans to excavate the fort fairly soon and as all three of us have a love of archaeology we thought we would take a quick look at the place before work starts, and then get in touch to join in when it begins.

Epiacum is sat behind a farm and the Pennine way goes right past it, within about 20 meters of it in fact so it's an easy stop off for any walkers that have decided to do the walk. 
As you know from my blog I do like to slightly take the mickey out of the many walkers and cyclists that come through. It isn't that I don't respect them for what they are doing, it;s just that they dress to be a target and I can't help myself.
This sign which reads "I love You John Porter" was put on the Pennine way on purpose. It sits in a place that couldn't be missed. You cross the bridge at Epiacum and it blazes in bright colours right on the trail in front of you.
I don't know who John Porter is, but  when you see this sign placed where it is, painted in the brightest of colours and screaming love and support you can't help but picture John Porter trudging along cold, wet, tired only half way through the journey and then to see this.

I'm a softy, it made me smile so I'm sharing it. 
However, this doesn't mean I am going to stop taking the mickey. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment