Wednesday 3 July 2013

Scary Bankers

I'm in a wonderfully bland hotel room in the middle of Milton Keynes. Yes....this is my bed!
I'm having one of those evenings when I really need to be sleeping, but I am in a bland hotel room in Milton Keynes, and it's my first year anniversary with my girlfriend, and I'm in a bland hotel room in Milton Keynes.

I think you may be getting the overall picture of my current mood.

This morning at 3:30am I set off from the AEON drove past owls and deer on the road and then over a few rabbits. It can't be helped, they bounce around looking for a way out, a solution to the problem of escaping. They go left and right and straight and then suddenly they jump under the car like they have lost the will to live, so don't shout at me, I am not responsible for frustrated rabbits.

I had to be in central London at 9:30 to talk to bankers about Bitcoin and Deep Web. 
This was going to be a bit of a challenge because they were all very clever bankers, exceptional in their field, and their field is money laundering prevention. 
I spent the morning listening to powerpoints about regulations and learning that in the field of money laundering prevention the name for everything is so long that acronyms have to be used because if you didn't and had to pronounce everything the long way you wouldn't get past the first powerpoint slide in the 40 minute allocated slot.

I like learning new things, today I learned about the IMLPO, their relationship with the JMLSG and all about MLD, FCA, FSA and many others. I also learned that while the term BO has a certain meaning in the world of Ethical hacking (because of working with beardy hackers who only change t-shirts once a week) that in the world of banking it means Beneficial Ownership.
I heard how regulations are changing in 2014, after they have done the focus groups, and then changed again in 2016 and that until then there was guidance, but that guidance didn't apply in certain countries that you may be dealing with.
In the end what I actually learned is that it takes so long to do anything that by the time it's done it's out of date and until then do your best.
I also learned that this is a very - VERY serious issue and that all the things that are being done will stop the things that shouldn't be done and that everything will be ok some point soon. Possibly after the focus group has submitted their findings.
In triplicate, edited...

The people I met were very clever, and very frustrated, they thought it couldn't get any worse and then I showed them Deep Web and Bitcoin, and every potential possibility for stopping money laundering went out of the window after one 40 minute presentation. Jaws dropped, breathes were taken deeply and held for a long time.

I felt quite sorry for them. Technology has overtaken banking and the value of a Bitcoin is defined worldwide by what you can buy with it and it's untraceable.

On the way home tomorrow I am going to try and not run over any rabbits, they remind me of money laundering officers jumping around just trying to find a way......

THUMP!

No comments:

Post a Comment