Saturday 12 January 2013

Today I am in....

Yes, I know that the blog is called "Arse End of Nowhere" and that the question is are we really in the AEON or the AONB?

Today was one of those days when I found the answer.
I have been told many times by Mark and Louise about a waterfall just a few minutes from their house, so today Kieran, Kasha and I decided to drive up the valley, park at our friends house and wander off to find this wonderful place.
We were told to expect snow today, and so as we were setting off into the Eden hills you prepare for what may come so there was warmth with jackets and special hats and gloves and the correct footwear and all the other stuff.
Cold kills you out here. We may be Geordies and like all Geordies not need to wear more than a T-Shirt when wandering in and out of busy bars on Newcastle quayside in the dead of winter, but it's different here. In this place no one may pass near you for days, and cold kills you in hours. It's been an eye opener for me and my son since we came here, you may not need a coat for the few hours you are out, but you take one anyway.
And so kitted out..... we set off.

We were told that we would find a river and that we were to follow it upstream.

We traipsed through woodland and mud










And then....there it was.

It's the darker days right now, winter, cold and not very pleasant but even then the sight and the aura of the place just hits you. I can't wait to see this place in the warmth of summer.
I can't wait to spend long days here. 

We were told that you can walk behind the waterfall and so Kieran set off at a run.


 
Eventually the two of us got there














In case you ever wondered what it looked like to stand behind a waterfall.



Today I am in the most beautiful place in the world.


There is a reason they call it Eden.

No comments:

Post a Comment